The Eastman Kodak Company and Bullitt Group have announced the KODAK EKTRA Smartphone, a photography-led smartphone designed for people with a passion for photography
This smartphone, arriving as somewhat of a surprise, fuses the best of Kodak’s rich history in imaging with the latest innovations in smartphone photography. Launching soon across Europe, it promises to allow keen photographers to capture exceptional images, whatever the environment, with an incredibly fast smartphone, tuned for the best in image quality and media management.
“The original KODAK EKTRA Camera was launched in 1941 and in its latest reincarnation, opens up a world of creative opportunities to all who care about photography”
Jeff Clarke, Kodak Chief Executive, told Hungry Eye: “Kodak has a rich history in imaging technology and the launch of this KODAK Smartphone demonstrates our ongoing commitment to bringing the latest advances in photography to market. The original KODAK EKTRA Camera was launched in 1941 and in its latest reincarnation, opens up a world of creative opportunities to all who care about photography.”
At the heart of the KODAK EKTRA Smartphone is a 21-megapixel fast focus camera sensor with f2.0 aperture, and an industry leading 13-megapixel front-facing camera with Phase Detection Auto Focus.
“The device also features a Super 8 app, providing professional effects reminiscent of Kodak’s iconic Super 8 film stocks”
The custom built accompanying camera app is controlled by an intuitive, SLR-style Scene Selection Dial, where adjustments are made in real time via a range of settings including HDR, Landscape, Portrait, Macro, Sport, Night-time and Panorama, alongside a Smart Auto mode which auto-selects the best conditions for your photographs. In Manual mode, more advanced users can adjust exposure, ISO, focus, white balance and shutter speed, with the results being visible on the screen as changes are made.
The device features a Super 8 app, providing professional effects reminiscent of Kodak’s iconic Super 8 film stocks and a fast HELIO X20 Decacore processor powers the ANDROID Marshmallow smartphone.
The smartphone also includes editing software from SNAPSEED, providing great tools for editing images on-the-go and without having to download any additional apps. Sharing the results in real time is also easy with integrated social media apps and the Prints app is a simple way to select your best shots to be professionally printed.
KODAK EKTRA Smartphone key features:
- ANDROID 6.0 [Marshmallow]
- Professional results from a 21MP fast focus camera sensor with F2.0, PDAF, OIS, Dual LED Flash
- 13MP phase detection auto focus front-facing camera with F2.2 PDAF
- Helio X20 2.3GHz Decacore processor with 3GB RAM
- 32GB memory, expandable with MicroSD cards
- Advanced Manual Mode – adjustable on Exposure, ISO, Focal Length [Manual/Auto], White Balance, Shutter Speed, Aperture [fixed f2.0 main camera]
- Familiar scene selection dial experience – includes scene modes Smart Auto, Portrait, Manual, Sports, Bokeh, Night-time, HDR, Panorama, Macro, Landscape, Film / Video
- Integrated high quality printing app
- Super 8 Video Recorder
- Integrated social media sharing
- 3000mAh, with USB 3.0 Type C fast charger
The KODAK EKTRA Smartphone will be priced at £449
Kodak Announce the EKTRA: A Smartphone Designed for Photographers